Sunday, November 25, 2012

Dear Teenage Self

I decided to write my self a letter-started as a joke between a few friends but the more I thought about it the cooler I thought it would be to see what I would tell myself...so here it goes!

Dear Teenage year old me;

Hello there, teenage me! I expect that part way through this letter you would’ve crumpled this up, declaring it utter rubbish and hurling it in the nearest (recycling) bin. That part hasn’t changed- being “green”- but so many other things have.  Trivial matters aside, there are so many other things to tell you! I am writing this from 10 years later, but there have been a lot of changes.
But, apart from things to tell, I also have a question for you- how can you see so much beauty in the world around you, and never in yourself? How can you be your own worst enemy? You can see beauty in so much, but you also need to see it in you. Everyone has something to offer the world, and try to see that you do too- even though this remains a struggle for you, try and know it in your heart of hearts to be true.

Things to DO-
- Remember everything happens for a reason. You will feel lost and alone but know it is temporary. You will have a great support system when you hit hard times-and believe me you will have hard times! Just keep fighting and have hope. Without hope for a brighter future you may as well quit now.

- Others opinions do not matter, but dreams do. Why not follow all of them? Write as much as you do now forever-it will be a great outlet for anger, frustrations, joy and love. Cherish those silly photos-it will bring a smile to your face on days when you need it the most.

-Life will never be how you pictured it to be. Sure some things will be just as planned but not in the timely manner you expected it to be! Embrace everything when it happens...especially pregnancy and  motherhood! It may be your only shot at it.

-Make time for your friends and family you care about. Life is short and it can all change in a blink of an eye. Always tell everyone how much you love and appreciate them.


Now, some DONT'S
-Don’t leave anything to the last minute! You are getting much better at this!! But in your future career, you literally can’t.

 -Don’t believe that just because some boy harassed you, offended you and creeped the heck out of you, doesn’t mean that someone else far better won’t come along, and believe me he has already come along (hint, hint- you know him already!!).

-Don’t believe those who insult you, and poke at your appearance, and if they have a problem with you, be sad for them that they cannot see the beauty in those around you as you do.

-Don't believe that you are undeserving of every praise that is given to you- someone said something wonderful to you out of the kindness of their heart- it would just be rude to throw it back in their face.
Perhaps, try to view yourself as you view others, and stop being your own harshest critic.
You will find your niche, it may just be harder than you expected, and only after many, many changes you will find it to be in the simplest and most natural of places- the very start.


Lastly, remember critics are often people trying to build themselves up off the back of the failure of others, and why should anyone listen to the opinion of someone like that? Be kind to everyone, and try to be kind to yourself foremost.

May the force be with you, and know that everything will be okay in the end; if its not okay than its not the end!. I don’t know that for sure, as I haven’t gotten to the end yet, but starting to believe it is the first step to making it come true.
xoxo

-Amanda (age24)

1 comment:

  1. I love this - And. . . May the force be with you, too!!! Sometimes I feel the need to write a letter to my 40 year old self. . . So I can remind myself that life is worth living even tho I'll feel old as shit when that time comes, lol.

    ReplyDelete